Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Job Changes

I recently decided to make a job change. In light of recent economic hardships some might wonder the wisdom in such a change at this time. My decision has been influenced at least in part by the current economical client. In times of uncertainty we look at the strength of our current positions and evaluate stronger foundations on which to build. There have been other strong factors that have moved me to this decision however. I could not in good conscious simply "abandon ship" when the going gets tough. This is a fact that my job history can attest to. I think the largest part of my economical concern was not that "times were tough", as much as the reason's behind that hardship. I have often said, "It is one thing for a poor man to need money for food and quite another for that same man to have gambled away his food only days before. That is not to say that mistakes are not made by person and organization alike. The difference is what we take away from those mistakes. In the end I felt that much of our "pain" was self inflicted. I also felt as though that message was understood and even accepted. I have no cure for apathy. I thought about the situation for quite sometime. In the end my mind kept wandering back to the first part of The Serenity Prayer.
God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.
The idea is common even without the christian overtones. Buddhists hold similar beliefs in regard to finding calm by accepting the things one can not change. A portion of my discontentment is a mindset, or a collection of ideas that are held by those around me here. Acceptance has come from the realization that these traits are immutable. I think the hardest part is actually following through with the outcome that you know you will reach. I have known for sometime what the situation was, and deep down I have known that I could not change it. I rallied against it, against myself. I have come to understand that knowing something and acknowledging something are not the same. I have been hesitant to ask myself the question. Once asked it must answered, and once answered it must be acknowledged. With acknowledgment comes acceptance and sometimes its hard to accept the answers we don't like. And so just like that the path I always knew was there lay before me waiting patiently to be traversed. I do know what lies ahead, only where I have been and why I continue to move forward.

No comments: