Monday, January 5, 2009

Project Positive

Well Project Positive is still moving forward despite the challenges. It seems as though there is a never ending string of "strife" in front of me, but I am working not to let it drag me down. I see change coming and change has a way of making me anxious. I think above all else I am going to try and focus on a sense of calm, I just need to remember the Serenity Prayer.
God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.
Its a reoccurring theme in many religious and a staple of many "self-help" programs. Deep down I think I have the wisdom to know the difference. Its the inability to completely accept those things that can not be changed that I have to work on.

2 comments:

Randi T. said...

I think it's a vice for a lot of people. I have some problems with it too, although I think I have a harder time having the wisdom to know the difference.

I think the key to being positive it to not let the "strife" determine your day or your moode, but to think of it as just an obstacle to overcome.

Do not put behind you the will to improve situations. At some point someone will value your input.

Lord of Filing said...

Every time I see that adage, about accepting what you can't change and changing what you can, I think of Mario Kart.

(No, I'm not making fun of you, hear me out.)

That game involves a lot of Blue Shells bombing you, bloopers clouding your screen, POW blocks knocking you over, and lightning slowing you down. And you know what? There's not a damn thing you can do about any of that. Not one blasted thing.

However, there *are* Red shells, and green shells, and being bumped into by a guy with a cloud over his head. You can control that. You can change that. And it is your ability to do that, and that alone, that makes you cross the finish line first.

Sure, sometimes you're inches from the finish line and you're bombed by the blue shell, and five guys whip by you and make you lose the whole circuit as a result, but you know what? That's life. You either saddle up and try again or you throw the Wheel through your TV.

One way leads to eventual success. The other way makes you look like a whiny quitter who needs a new TV. What side are you on?