Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Day cont

Well its mid-afternoon now and I am feeling much better. Work is slow and quiet and I am lamenting not bringing my space heater back to work with me. At least the office is no longer in the high 50 to low 60 degree temperature. The atmosphere at work today seems to make the day appear to drag on. I find myself the victim of one of my vices, a vice I have made note to work on this year. I sometimes get frustrated with the people I work with and in the past that frustration has caused me to speak out from time to time. My frustration is in regard to the lazy "it can't be done" attitude, when the real answer is usually that they either don't want to do it or they don't know how to do it. I've seen a lot of good ideas never given a second glance because the person being asked gave some excuse about why it was a bad idea. I know different departments don't always get along but I hate it when I see how it affects the business as a whole. The attitude seems to be, "how dare they have the audacity to want something we haven't given them". Anyway to apply this to my situation my company often markets the addition of blogging features to our clients. Interesting enough though when they accept we don't really seem to have a direction in mind. Furthermore it was noticed that our company does not have a blog itself. What better way to illustrate the very points we try to sell than to set our own example? Right from the start the response was negative. "You can't do that", "There's too much involved" etc... The excuses for why it couldn't be done abounded. No one wanted to entertain the possibilities. So I spoke up. For the most part I was a met with a "your full of shit, I don't believe you" attitude. So I did what I usually do and proved the worth to my words. I have come to realize my folly and fully understand just how much I have been consistently duped. The challenges to what I say never stop, I never get anymore credibility for the effort. Why would I? Its genius. As long as they continue to question, I continue to do, and in the end they avoid exactly what they wanted to in the first place. I know my own worth, I don't need their agreement to validate it. In the past I continued to meet the challenges not because of personal pride or merit because I believed that it was just a matter of someone not knowing that it could be done. I viewed it more as a learning / teaching experience (not in a condescending way). After a time though constant lack of creditability wears on you. So here I set cleaning up the last remnants of a blogging project that was added to my normal workload, while I wait to attend a meeting for yet another project that is also a result of this vice. These projects are too far along to walk away from, but these will be my last. Each moment of added stress will only serve to help drive this lesson home. I have nothing to prove to anyone other than myself.

No comments: