Monday, December 29, 2008

Asus The Saga Begins

Around May of 2008 I purchased 2 Asus M50Sa laptops. One for me, and one for my wife. Overall they are nice machines, and we chose them because the hardware was "beefy" enough to meet the demands of both our work and play. Aside from some minor problems they weren't too bad. However shortly after receiving them my laptop screen began to squeak. I don't mean your little random *squeak squeak*, its more of "plasticy" creaking sound that is triggered by even the slightest movement. Aside from being extremely annoying its made using the microphone very difficult as it attached to the LCD and each creak gets picked up. The other issue I have had has been with what I believe is overheating. The laptop simply freezes randomly or even worse it will often times just suddenly completely power off. At first I thought it was software or games that were causing the issue but as time went on it would often happen after a fresh restart and with only an IE window open. I have noticed that efforts to lower the temperature often lead to extended time between these incidents but they still happen much too frequently. Overall I'm really kind of bummed. I really wanted this computer to work out. However both machines came with with a 2 year warranty as well as 1 year accident warranty. In a perfect world all I should have to do is submit a ticket or call the number, send the machine in and everything will be fixed and sent back, and that's still a possibility. To be fair I have no idea how this process will go, but I'm going to try and keep a positive outlook and hope for the best. Additionally I'm going to track everything I do concerning the matter on my blog. Hopefully everything will go really well and I will have a shining example of what great customer service they provide and walk away with an overall "warm and fuzzy" about my buying decision. Hopefully! -stay tuned-

1 comment:

Randi T. said...

So far I haven't had any real issues with mine. I think yours is just wonky.