Thursday, April 22, 2010

Anger

Society doesn't seem to like anger, or angry people for that matter.  There are countless ways in which life tries "help you" with anger.  Curiously enough none of the solutions ever seem to involve correcting the thing you are angry about.  That's external and it seems the only help that can be offered is to change you.

I was somewhat angry growing up.  Anger was my sword, my shield, and my steed.  Time seem determine to change my ways though and eventually talked from my mount.  Life eventually convinced me to ease my grip on sword and shield, that the burden was to heavy to carry around.  Finally after many miles I cast them aside and continued on.

The problem with all these "anger management" solutions is that they don't give you anything to replace what they took.  Years later I find myself alone.  Bereft of my horse I have no swiftness.  Divested of my blade I have no means to charge forward to my goal.  My shield no more than memory I stand naked without shelter from any attack.  There is no fire left in my belly save for indigestion.

We aren't supposed to get angry anymore, we are supposed to find another way to deal with our feelings.  We tell our children, "Theres no since getting mad about it.", but is isn't there?  There are things in life that we should get mad about.  You don't have to be OK with everything.  We are not sheep!  I know its not productive to simply be mad all the time, but damn it don't let them take you fire.

No comments: