Thursday, September 24, 2009

I am Jack's uncontrolled anxiety

Lately I have been feeling overwhelmingly anxious for no apparent reason. I feel as though I lack any real purpose. I'm pretty sure it doesn't stem from a lack of things to do as I have a seemingly endless list of tasks at hand. All the tasks in the world just seem less significant, almost as though they were contrived simply to distract me from my own anxiety. I am reminded of a the characters on the cartoon Dragonball Z, charging up for some awesome attack. Except in my case its as though I got all charged up and forgot why and what I was going to do. I'm haunted by the same feeling that has plagued me since I was a child, the feeling that there is something important I am supposed to be doing. Something significant that I am just on the edge of remembering. I think my wife has told that I have a pattern of going through this feeling. Somehow recognizing and even acknowledging it as a cycle provides very little solace. I think the core issue really is that I lack a sense of purpose and direction. Without it the days sort of run together into a long thread of pointless milestones. I begin to question whether I am doing things just to do them or simply mark the passage of time. I am sure these feelings will pass as they always do, but I sense these ghosts from my childhood may continue to be life long companions.

No comments: