Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Jonathan Coulton

Singer / songwriter, maybe you've heard of him? I stumbled across a few of his songs sometime ago on YouTube. I found a few World of Warcraft Videos set to some of his songs. One video lead to another and another and I soon had a little collection of favorites. You might recognize some of his songs like Code Monkey. From what I have read he used to be a software developer, at least if you consider Visual Basic a language (just kidding). From his music and what I have read I can relate to several aspects of his personality. I can frequently be heard singing silly songs or changing lyrics to various music. I've purchased a few of his songs on ITunes in the past but recently I was looking for one in particular that they did not have. A little searching lead me to his website JonathanCoulton.com. I like the site quite a bit. It's got all the information you would want and its concise and to the point while maintaining a casual tone. Additionally he has made all of his music available in several ways. Free ways to listen and multiple ways to purchase, and you can buy individual songs for as little as $1.00. The song I was hunting for is called I feel fantastic. Here's a YouTube video set to it that I like. I like the lyrics to the song in particular, perhaps because I can relate. The tempo of the song feels similar to the tempo of my own life, and this video in general just kind of completed the whole "feel" for me. That and much to the dismay of friends and family I really like to sing along :)

2 comments:

Randi T. said...

I don't think they're all too bad. The problem is their catchiness. :) Is he the one that wrote It'll Be The Future Soon?

Lord of Filing said...

That'd be the same man, Ms. R. Josh first introduced me to that song months ago, and I've been frikkin' hooked on his stuff ever since.

Funny how it gets around, eh? It's like passing the plague in that way.