Monday, March 15, 2010

Project Fail

As I've mentioned previously I have been pretty excited about building a PC inside an old NES case. The intent was harmless but as with everything I seem to undertake the implementation seems mostly folly. Don't worry this is not intended as a "woe is me" entry. The concept has been done many times. Where I strayed from the norm was in the way it was done. Ever implementation I have seen seems to cut the case up and expose all the nifty little computer plugs. My goal however lofty was to keep the alterations to the outside of the case to a minimum.
The crux of the problem is that the bottom of the NES case contains a molded ridge in the shape of T that connects to the three sides of the case. This ridge stands a little less than 1/2 inch tall. Before I set out to do this project I did some homework. I measured the case very closely and compared the sizes of the parts I would order. On paper everything looked good but in practice things fell apart.
Everything fits without the processor fan on top of the heat sink. However without the fan in this position the processor generates too much heat. With the fan on top of the processor I can close the case with some effort but the fan cannot turn or pull air. I have tried every solution I can think of to no avail. In the end I believe I will need to cut out the T shaped ridge in the bottom of the case. In reality removing the ridge will not be that noticeable from the exterior of the case. The main reason I had been avoiding removing it had more to do with the difficulty of doing so correctly.
I don't think the frustration I am feeling is completely just about failing at this project. It's more that I feel like it's just the most recent in a long line of failed attempted projects. Sometimes I feel like every time I try to do something all it does is annoy those around me. In a way I involve others because it gives me some connection to them. It's something I can do with them. I suppose I should stop consider whether they really care to be involved in the first place. I think sometimes people think I can't do anything on my own so when I do have an idea for something new others look at it as just creating more work for them.
Perhaps I depend on people too much. Maybe I need to do more things on my own. Of course if my track record is any indication perhaps I should stop trying to do anything at all. If I can't do something completely on my own I shouldn't undertake it. I spend too much time thinking of stupid ideas. I think I will try to just "chill" for a while.

No comments: