Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Observation

Over the past few days I have had a rather interesting and complex set of work / development related challenges. I know that I revel in midst of the challenge but I have also made some observations this time around. The overall challenge is broken up into several sets of complex little conundrums. Each tiny victory or discovery is rewarding with its own fleeting moments of intense feelings of accomplishment. I sleep much less during these periods and I eat less frequently and more sporadically. It's not intention as much as I am just not as hungry and my mind has trouble shutting off to let me sleep. Additionally my sex drive seems to decrease during these periods. Day to day conversations seem annoying or distracting. I normally take "smoke breaks" with a coworker although I do not smoke myself. When I am feeling like this however even the notion of his company seems more of a distraction than anything else. My concept of time seems more troubled than normal as well. I have noticed little things such as having to pee and thinking to myself, "in just a moment, let me just finish this part" only to find that hours have passed and I about to pee down my own leg. It seems like I look at the computer and when I glance up hours have passed. I would surmise that I was having a "manic" type of episode during these periods, but I am particularly giddy or bouncing off the walls. Loss of appetite and sleep would allude to depression but I don't feel sad or upset. Overall I just feel very focused. I am reminded of the character Sherlock Holmes, an savant of sorts when faced with a problem only come down when they are solved. I will most likely post more observations from time to time.

1 comment:

Randi T. said...

I think you mean that you're not particularly giddy....

Leo at Zen Habits calls this Flow. "Have your ever lost yourself in your work, so much so that you lost track of time? Being consumed by a task like that, while it can be rare for most people, is a state of being called Flow."

Guide to Achieving Flow and Happiness in Your Work. Check it out, you might find it parallel to your current feelings.