Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolutions for 2011

Looking over my 2010 resolutions I have a sense of accomplishment.  In some ways 2011 is more significant than previous years.  It represents for me not only the beginning of a new year but also the start of a new phase of my life.  This will be my first year as a father and later as a catholic.  Earlier last year I also made a transition that was significant at least to me, I turned 30.  So 2011 represents the beginning of many things in my life.

Games
While I still intend to play video games I think perhaps the time has come to redefine the role they play in my life.  I want to try shy away from or minimize my time playing maintenance "Skinner Box" games such as Farmville.  It isn't that I do not enjoy them as much as the enjoyment they provide is not equal to amount of time and investment they require.  I had originally planned to stop once I reached some arbitrary point in each game, but realized that these points were the same silly carrots that perpetuate my continuous playing.

Books
I have not read a book in what seems like forever.  I need to read more this year and try to expand my own horizons.

Food
I am a sugar junkie.  This year I am going to try to bring this under control.  Chocolates and cookies have been my guilty pleasure for so long.  I don't want to go overboard and eliminate sugar as much as I want to bring my cravings under control.  Another goal under this topic is to reduce the amount of fast food I eat.

Potty mouth
This year I am going to work harder at controlling my potty mouth.  Yes that includes my often colorful made up lyrics and songs.

Perspective
I want to try to keep a positive perspective on things.  In general I have been doing pretty good with this but sometimes it is hard for me to see the forest through the trees.

Calmness
I tend to be a rather hyper and excitable person.  While I think this has its benefits I would like to exude more of a sense of calm and peacefulness.  Sometimes I have a tendency to say so much that nothing is really heard.  I think that I may be able to say more by speaking less and really choosing my words carefully.

Assertiveness
I am going to work on being less passive about the things that are important to me.

For 2011 I would like to work on being a better husband, a good father, and a more understanding person.

No comments: