Monday, December 27, 2010

It's hard sometimes to just stay positive.  I feel like nothing ever really lasts.  Time erodes all things, people die, mountains crumble etc.  Sometimes everything just seems so pointless.  Fast forward 100 years, will anything I've ever done really matter?  Probably not.  Fast forward another 500 years or even a thousand and suddenly my entire life is so insignificant that its not even relate-able.  A precious few that have made some significant contribution to mankind may find a few words about their lives in a text book but the majority will be overlooked.

Looking backward we know some of the key players in the construction of the pyramids but the vast majority of the workers were unremarkable and so they go unremembered.  They all lived, worked, married, had children etc and then they died and were mourned for a generation before passing out of all memory.  Time is a framing mechanism that gives our lives context and meaning.  The longer the time span the more insignificant we become.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that since I feel insignificant I should just give up and not do anything.  I will admit the thought is depressing but that doesn't necessarily mean I am depressed about it.  I understand it and I want to say that I accept it but I think some part of me is still fighting.

No comments: