Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oh something shiny!

Here's a good example of what its like for me. From what I have read it might be a good example of a lot of people with ADHD. Your average person reads or speaks a sentence in a pretty straight forward manner. For example the sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog". Normally you read or speak that sentence without too much thought. Here's and idea of how this sentence plays out for me.
"The quick" quick... its odd that's adverb and a noun, like the quick of your fingernail. People always say it cuts to the quick, I wonder where that comes from. I wonder if its spelled the same way. Do your toes have a quick on them too? Makes me think of that rabbit for Nestle Quick. They should change it from fox to rabbit. "brown fox" dunno but to me foxes should be red like on that movie the Fox and the Hound. I'm a hound dog! "jumps right" as though they could jump left? "over the lazy dog". You know, I know over is a preposition but I thought prepositional phrases were usually three words. I wonder if the adjective lazy changes it at all so its no longer a prepositional phrase. If it doesn't I wonder how many different adjectives you can add before it would change it? Is there a limit?
That probably seems like an exaggeration, but I can say from experience that sometimes the previous paragraph is pretty accurate. Realize that although you are reading it in a linear fashion many of thoughts in between the words of the sentence can happen at once. Often times it almost seems as though the act of reading or speaking is running on a completely different process than thinking allowing them to run in tandem. The problem is that you can quite literally speak without realizing exactly what your saying.
Another odd little quirk that I have and wonder if it might be typical of other people with ADHD. I have a problem with repetition of patterns. The best example I can think of at the moment would be something like guitar hero. Some songs have a very simple repeated pattern throughout the entire song. While I can master the pattern fairly quickly I can not continue it very long before completely messing it up. However I seem to have far less problems with the more complicated pieces of the songs. It occurred to me what the problem is. If I am doing something in repetition that does not require thought then my mind tends to wander. When that happens my hands get out of sync. I realize guitar hero is just a game and please understand I am using it only as an example. There are many other areas of my life that are affected by this problem.
I keep wondering if my problem is unique to me or indicative of other people with ADHD?

No comments: