Friday, October 31, 2008

Work work work...

I'm actually feeling pretty good about work lately. I'm a software developer by trade and the past week has been a steady series of victories for me. I've managed to get implemented some changes I have been pushing for on our Sharepoint Portals. The net effect of the changes is a decrease in overall page size by approximately 85k. That's just shy of cutting it in half. Next months bandwidth usage will ultimately determine the value of the success but either way its help to establish a small standard here in the way things are done. I enjoy creating ideas that have value beyond a single implementation. A better way to create a news feature on one site is great but creating the foundation for a reusable news feature that can be easily deployed across multiple sites are the types of things that really drive me. Give me a challenge beyond "make a widget". Anyone can make a widget, why not make a widget maker! I've noticed I am in an overall better mood when I have good challenge tackle. I think my room for improvement lies in staying focused on the rest of the delivery once the more interesting parts have been completed. This is one of the reasons I enjoy software architecture so much. The fulfillment lies within the challenge. Challenge fathers my creativity and my thinking, and I love to think.

No comments: