Monday, January 24, 2011

Things left unsaid

With the birth of my son or daughter just around the corner I wondered what I would want them to know in the event that I were not around to teach them.

To my child

Although I do not yet know you, believe me when I say that I love you.  Your mother and I have loved  you since you were a mere idea and our love only grows as we wait for you to be born.  If my only accomplishment in life were you I would rest feeling fulfilled.  Although I am not so foolish to believe that I can summarize 30 years of life in a few pretty words.  I would leave you the following knowledge that I have learned along my way.

In all things try to be honest with yourself.  The easiest lies to believe are the ones we tell ourselves.  Self truth is often uncomfortable, but understanding and accepting who you are is the first step to becoming who you want to be.  It has been said that a person will often believe a lie, either because they want it to be true, or they fear that it might be true.  Strive to recognize this in yourself as well as others.

Although I wish I could impart my faith to you, finding it and understanding it is an individual journey.  In your life you will find many people who wish to "give it to you" or "take it from you".  You will encounter many convincing arguments against it, but understand that faith by its very nature is not something that can be argued.  By its very definition faith is belief in the absence of proof.  Faith is not something rationalized, it is something felt and experienced.

Of love and marriage each day teaches me more but I impart to you a few cherished realizations that was lucky to have very early in life.  If you take only one thing away with you from my words let it be this.  Make sure the person that you choose to be with is someone you respect and who respects you.  That respect will build the foundation for a relationship that will support you when all seems lost.  I love and respect your mother and our relationship has shaped me into a better person.  I pray with all my heart that you may know the same love I have found in your mother.

The following may seem the suspicious words of an older generation but time has rendered them no less true.  Guard well your surroundings and understand how the things that you surround yourself with influence your point of view, be it people, culture, or simple media.  Be who YOU are, not what anything tells you to be.  With honesty, faith, and a strong partner you discover not only who you are but who you truly want to be.

With all my love,

You Father

P.S.  Change your own front brakes and a good sense of humor will help you through some otherwise irritating times.

No comments: