Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cats

For my wife's birthday I decided to take her to see Cats at Beef and Boards (just as a note their website needs serious help). I am usually unsure of myself when it comes to planning things but enlisting the opinions of others has gotten me into some trouble in the past, so I decided that this idea would be "all me". I reserved us a table for 8 right next to the stage, even though it was only two of us it was the best seat in the house. I thought about inviting different friends to go along but I wasn't sure who want to go and who wouldn't. In the end we ended up inviting her sister to join us as well. The food was ... well lets just say we didn't go for the food. We had been there once before so we knew what to expect. I figured that my wife would really enjoy the musical and I assumed that I would have a fine time as well. I was caught off guard however by just much I liked the show. Just before the show they announced several birthdays of which my wife was one. Although she was somewhat embarrassed she was duly vindicated when at the start of the performance just as I was about to take a drink the spotlight pans to me and I'm surrounded by Cats asking questions. I was speechless but completely amused and entertained. The show is very high energy and my heart goes out to the performers. There is very little if any pause between scenes. The performers worked hard to keep labored breathing from the physical activity from affecting their singing. Initially I had a little bit of a hard time getting past the outfits. Not the fact that they were dressed as cats but more that the outfits were a skin type spandex material that left nothing to the imagination. I had also never realized the sexual overtones of the performance. I do not believe it was anything "over the top" or unsuitable for minors. I think that I would like to see more plays and musicals this year.

2 comments:

Lord of Filing said...

You had me at skin-tight spandex, Mr. J. :P

Randi T. said...

Keep in mind that half the dancers were guys...
LOL