Thursday, August 4, 2011

+2 str

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about a comment that was made to me during a get together last weekend.  To summarize, I was discussing with a friend a recent situation in which during a disagreement with someone, that person brought with them 5 of their friends as a means of intimidation.  I made the comment, "If its a game of numbers, why not pick up the phone as you have friends of your own?"  It was his response that resonated with me and continues to preoccupy my mind.  He commented, "No offense, and I appreciate the gesture, but your not all that intimidating!"

There is truth in his statement of course.  The question I asked myself (and subsequently answered) is why?  It seems no matter how advanced we get everything still comes down to raw strength and physical appearance.  Originally I was tempted to limit my observations to the male gender but it applies equally to the female sex.  I would go so far as to say that had I been both taller and more muscular I would have had a much easier and happier childhood.  That is not to say that the more physically inclined get a free ride, only that they have less obstacles to overcome.

When you are physically more intimidating people behave differently around you.  While not an absolute, people are naturally and almost instinctively inclined to avoid conflict with you.  Physical appearance can intrinsically provide a basic level of respect based on simple fear.  The opposite is also observably true.  When the subject is not perceived as a threat the incentive to avoid conflict is lessened.  How often do you see a group of high school students making fun of someone who appears to be capable of grinding them to a pulp.  This response doesn't stop with high school.  A large part of how you are treated throughout life is directly tied to a persons physical presence and by extension their intimidation.

To me, physical strength is not nearly as intimidating as the will to do what others won't.  Some of the worst conflicts result from the inability to assess anything other than physical presence.  No sane person enters willingly into a conflict they don't believe they can win.  Yet whenever we see mismatched opponents we fail to take this into consideration.

We wonder sometimes what causes students become violent and lash out, but sometimes it seems so obvious.  Knowing you are unable to win in a fair fight is hardly an incentive to fight fair.  Kids are simply doing what man has done since the beginning of time.  If you can't beat you opponent hand to hand then lie down and die or find a stick with which to strike him with.

I have come to terms with reality concerning this issue.  Whether it is fair or not is irrelevant.  Might makes right, and to a certain extent human beings are programmed at some basic level to respect strength.  The most basic observable manifestation of strength will always be physical appearance.  I must accept that I can not change this.  The only real decision I have is whether my understanding compels me to change.

No comments: