Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Movie Reviews

It's been a while yet again since I have blogged. Life has been hectic lately but I have managed to catch a few movies. Yes Man I had heard mixed reviews about this movie, and to be honest my first inclination was to assume that it would be very close to one of Jim Carey's previous movies Liar Liar. I am glad I gave the movie a chance because as it turned out I was wrong. It turned out to be very entertaining overall with some nuggets of wisdom I could relate to through certain aspects of my own life. Marley & Me This was a decent movie for its genre. It's hard for me to give an impartial opinion as I have never really been fond of movies that are centered around "tugging your heartstrings". If you have a couple of hours to kill at the end of which you think you will feel like shedding a few heartfelt tears then this is the movie for you. The plot line did keep my attention but I think it was more in the anticipation that something larger would eventually happen. It didn't. In some ways I felt more like a casual observer over the course of a normal families life. The Day the Earth Stood Still The movie was not as fantastic as it probably could have been but overall it was pretty good. I have often heard people joke that Keanu Reeves is not that good of an actor. The jibes however always seem centered around a lack of "range" as far as characters. I believe however the roles he has chose to play have been done fairly well. The character roles he has accepted in the past do not lend themselves to an abundance of emotion. I attribute his ability to project a cold facade as a trademark of sorts. His role as outsider in this movie fit him well. I was disappointed in the ending as everything seemed to just end on a rather abrupt note. Role Models I figured the movie would be mildly funny and entertaining and I was not disappointed. In fact the movie exceeded my expectations in that it was less of an attempt at a "knee slapper" and more good comedy based around a pretty solid underlying story.

1 comment:

Randi T. said...

I found Role Models to be unexpectedly heartwarming. Plus it gives a little love to LARPers.

I agree with you on most of the reviews.

Yes Man ****
Sometimes predictible but not in a bad way. Better than expected. I'd watch it again.

Marley & Me ***
I heard the book was better. The movie seemed really long. Cute story.

The Day The Earth Stood Still ***
Had potential, but not a bad movie either

Role Models ***
Better than expected but still crude humor.